Saturday 14 March 2009

non domestic rates

....you know, sometimes it is not easy to stay calm, positive happy, smiley, jovial. Sometimes you want to just scream at the utter incompetence of some organisations, the absolute idiocy of some people placed in positions of power and authority.
I extended my little workplace to include the little office next door as my nice new showroom, working so damn hard and staying so positive.
One has to organise non domestic business rates so I had immediately alerted the authority of the news. weeks later I remind them....they have no record....weeks later I finally get some one to sort it out, the place has to be re assesed for rateable value.

We also have small business rates in this country, for those who are just that, small!.

They still are negotiating the new rates....which they had ommitted to include as a small business.....and got my post code wrong too ??? even though I have been running this business in this country for 7 years or so... then this morning , a nice quiet Saturday, with my next project lined up, a lovely comport which I will engrave a logo and lettering all around the base and lovely happy English flowers around the body..... I start the day by checking my bank account to make sure all went in and out as it is supposed to....and lo and behold my local council has now helped themselves to a massive amount of money, clearly in error, just like that, sent me into the red and into a rage that I cannot even begin to describe. They don't talk on the phone, so you have to leave a message or send an email. It feels like being back in Zimbabwe.

Now tell me how does one logically deal with this. Deep breath, stretch? You feel personally invaded and powerless. How long before it will be sorted out? Do I have time to waste arguing? ...now how much time am I wasting writing this whe I should be telling you all the best news?......

Do I now feel like creating my pretty lovely engraved comport for my client?? ...no.

I think, ok, I will go and play the 9 hole, that takes about an hour as a one ball as long as there is no one in front....then I will feel better, then come back to work...however there are big black clouds overhead and rain is threatening and it is rather cold.....so golf is not a good idea right now.

What will make me feel calmer? I am now going to make a nice cup of tea and then I am going to begin the artwork for this glass, comport. If I don't then I have lost, if I do I will feel better as I get involved in it. It is not the end of the world. Certain things and certain people cross our paths to test our patience to the absolute limit.

I have had to deal with far far worse.

so looking on the bright side....all WILL be well.

No comments: